BARNSLEY dropped into the bottom three after a disastrous result at Oakwell.

And the man who consigned them to defeat against fellow strugglers was Sheffield Wednesday winger Wade Small.

The unwanted Owls player only joined Blackpool on loan on Friday but he lashed in a right-foot volley in the 70th minute to settle the contest and give the visitors a welcome double over the Reds to move away from the drop zone.

Strong gusts spoiled the game as a contest but the best Barnsley could muster came in the first half when a header from central defender Dennis Souza was cleared off the line.

Maltese strikers Michael Mifsud and Daniel Bogdanovic made little impression as the Reds switched to a 4-4-2 system but to no avail.

Barnsley boss Simon Davey said: "It wasn't the result I was looking for.

"We didn't step up to the plate. We are disappointed but we've got 11 games left and when it comes to May 4 then we'll decide how well we've done.

"It's not going to be judged on one day. It was a big game for us and we lost it and that's what happens in this division.

"Nothing dropped for us and if we were still out there now, we wouldn't score. It's disappointing because we lost at home and lost to a team that's around us."

Barnsley thought they should have had a penalty three minutes before the interval when Michael Mifsud went down in the area but the referee waived away the appeals.

Davey said: "I thought it was a penalty but the referee didn't and he didn't have a bad game."

Blackpool, who had not won at Barnsley in their last five attempts, had the better of the first half and could have taken the lead through Joe Martin`s volley.

The Tykes could have leapfrogged their opponents with a win but never got into their passing rhythm, with the defeat heightening the threat of relegation at the South Yorkshire club.

Barnsley boss Simon Davey made two changes to the side which drew 1-1 with Birmingham in midweek with Adam Hammill and Mounir El Haimour replacing Jon Macken and Marciano Van Homoet.

The visitors also sported two changes to their starting XI with Small handed his debut while Martin replaced Graeme Owens.

Neither side could get a stranglehold on the game early on and chances were few and far between.

It was the visitors who eventually threatened after 10 minutes when Small found Martin in the box, but the midfielder could only volley wide from the edge of the area.

Barnsley were second best for the first 20 minutes with Maltese strike duo Daniel Bogdanovic and Michael Mifsud kept at bay by the visiting defence.

The Reds finally had a shot on goal in the 34th minute with first Bobby Hassell firing wide then Rob Kozluk also failing to find the target with a speculative effort.

Hammill went close to giving the hosts the lead on the stroke of half time but the on-loan Liverpool man saw his 20-yard free-kick tipped round the post by Paul Rachubka.

The second half began much like the first with neither side showing enough quality to unlock their opponents' defence.

On the one rare occasion Blackpool breached the home defence DJ Campbell, who was in inspirational form against the Blades in midweek, volleyed wastefully over when he should have hit the target.

At the other end Hammill was proving a real handful and Rachubka had to be at his best to tip over the midfielder`s dipping effort.

The save proved to be crucial as moments later the visitors took the lead through Small.

Martin was the creator as he delivered a pinpoint cross for Small to volley into the top corner to stun the home faithful.

Rachubka saved well from a Jamal Campbell-Ryce effort late on as the Reds saw their winless run extended to three games.

Yorkshire Post, 14 March 2009

Have your say | HERE
Share To:

Ian Wilkinson

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours