Barnsley's 17-year Molineux hoodoo continued as a professional Wolves display gave the Coca-Cola Championship leaders all three points.

The Reds last tasted victory at Wolves in 1991 and they never really looked like breaking their duck today as Wanderers strolled to victory with goals in either half.

In truth Barnsley could have found themselves two down even before Bobby Hassell knocked the ball into his own net after goalkeeper Heinz Muller has missed a cross.

Both Kevin Foley and Andy Keogh should have done better with early chances as the hosts began brightly and produced some of the bright, attacking football that has seen them score 48 league goals this season.

Barnsley did improve after the break and could have snatched a point late on with Jamie Cureton and Maceo Rigters missing the target with close-range headers, but Foley made the game safe with a late strike.

"We passed it well at times and were always in the game until their second goal," said Barnsley boss Simon Davey.

"All credit to Wolves. They are flying at the moment. The teams at the top are the ones who come alive in the final third and are more clinical. It's not just the finishing, it's the quality of the balls in as well.

"Wolves are top of the division and consistently winning games. That puts them in good stead and it looks like they could go straight up, although Birmingham and Reading are pushing as well."

As expected, the hosts started on the front foot and Foley stung the hands of Muller with a shot from the edge of the area.

Barnsley were caught on the counter attack in the 19th minute as a swift move created the opening goal.

Following good build-up play from David Edwards and Foley, a dangerous cross was missed by Muller and the hapless Hassell turned the ball into his own net.

It was almost 2-0 moments later as Foley, who was causing the Tykes all sorts of problems down the right flank, drilled a brilliant shot just wide of the post from 20 yards.

More intense pressure from the home side resulted in another goalscoring chance for Keogh, who should have done better with a close-range header following good play from Foley.

Barnsley were dealt another blow just before half-time as Brazilian centre-back Dennis Souza was forced off through injury.

The second half began at a much slower pace with Wolves happy to sit on their slender lead. This encouraged the Tykes to take a stranglehold of proceedings but despite some nice interplay in the middle of the park, they found it hard to penetrate the home defence.

They did go close in the 65th minute, though, as Cureton found himself with space in the area. But the on-loan striker sent his header over the bar when he should have hit the target.

Substitute Rigters had a great chance to draw the visitors level but he missed the target with a far-post header, before Foley put the game to bed five minutes from time with a shot from just inside the area after good work from Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.
Share To:

Ian Wilkinson

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours