Anderson De Silva's header and Jamal Campbell-Ryce's late penalty clinched Barnsley's first Coca-Cola Championship win in five matches against 10-man Plymouth.

Brazilian midfielder De Silva headed home Diego Leon's 38th-minute free-kick and Campbell-Ryce side-footed home a last-minute penalty, but the Tykes made hard work of seeing off struggling Plymouth.

The visitors played with 10 men for much of the match after Simon Walton had been shown a straight red card 20 minutes before the break.

Walton took exception to De Silva's firm challenge and kicked out at the former Everton playmaker to leave Plymouth, without a win in their past five league matches, facing an uphill struggle in the second period.

Barnsley manager Simon Davey was forced into two changes, with central defender Darren Moore (groin) back from a six-match injury lay-off and Rob Kozluk starting.

Plymouth striker Rory Fallon was suspended so Steve MacLean returned for Paul Sturrock's side.

Barnsley spurned a golden chance to take the lead in the 10th minute.

Leon crossed and unmarked midfielder De Silva headed wide with just Plymouth goalkeeper Romain Larrieu to beat.

The game exploded into life in the 26th minute when Plymouth midfielder Walton left referee Dean Whitestone with no choice other than to brandish a straight red card.

The former Leeds and Ipswich midfielder took exception to De Silva's challenge and kicked out at the elegant Brazilian right in front of the match official.

De Silva then headed the subsequent free-kick against the crossbar and when the ball rebounded to Bobby Hassell, the Barnsley midfielder forced a fine one-handed save from Larrieu with a fierce volley from the edge of the penalty area.

Barnsley deservedly broke the deadlock in the 38th minute.

Leon clipped another weighted free-kick into the area and this time De Silva was on target with his header for his first goal of the season, albeit via a deflection that strike partner Jon Macken appeared to be claiming.

De Silva almost scored a second five minutes after the restart, firing in a low shot from 20 yards that Larrieu turned away and then Argyle defender Krisztian Timar headed the ball on to his own crossbar when under pressure from the Brazilian.

Plymouth worked tirelessly as Barnsley hogged possession without carving out clear scoring chances and striker Paul Gallagher reminded the home side they had only a slender lead with a 25-yard snap-shot in the 66th minute.

Davey sent on-loan Blackburn striker Maceo Rigters for the ineffective Jamie Cureton with 20 minutes left as Barnsley began to labour in the final third.

Within minutes of his arrival the Dutchman swivelled on the edge of the penalty area and rifled in a vicious shot to the near post that Larrieu turned away.

Barnsley made sure of the points in the last minute when Leon was tripped in the penalty area by Plymouth substitute David McNamee and Campbell-Ryce coolly converted.
Share To:

Ian Wilkinson

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours